Getting out of the rat race

This blog will serve as a tracking of my path towards financial success.

Thursday, December 28, 2006

Prosper Update

I'm nearing the end of my money crunch (payday tomorrow) which was mainly caused by overpaying debt (is there such a thing) and also because I made a few too many Prosper loans.

Prosper Loans are a great way to sock away some emergency funds at a healthy interest rate. The catch? Your money is tied up in each loan for 36 months. Each loan COULD be paid off early, but most loans will simply return back a small amount of interest and principal each month for 36 payments. The postitive? There are extremely safe loans towards low/almost no risk individuals at 8-12% interest! I'm willing to bet that beats the interet rate of your current savings account. You can also make higher risk loans, but for any money you are counting on, I wouldn't recommend it.

I have set to goal of contributing ~$100/mth to Prosper in order to FORCE myself to save. My short term goal is 3 months worth of expenses in loans at at least 12% interest. My long term goal is to have 2 years worth of income lent out on Prosper at an interest rate of at least 12%. It may take me 20 years...but I don't usually set easy goals for myself...I am for the sun.

Every dollar I put in a loan is essentially locked in a safe where I can't touch it for 3 years. And every $1000 that I lend out (at an assumed interest rate of 8.5%, I get back ~$31. Of that payment, roughly $28 is principal and roughly $3 of it is interest. It may not seem like a lot, but I prefer to have several eggs in every basket.

Currently, I have lent out 71.97% of one months income in loans at an average interest rate of 16.05.% I have 19.32% of one months income in loans that are waiting to be processed and 2.44% of one months income sitting in cash waiting to be lent out. That brings me to a total of 93.73% of one months income tied up in Prosper. I may only be 4.16% towards my goal...but if I give it time...I'll get there.

Short term goal: 3 months expenses

<<<<<31.24%>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<68.76% Incomplete>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>


Long Term Goal: 2 years expenses

<4.16%><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<68.76%>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>


I'd highly recommend checking out the site and opening and account. Even if you only up in $50 every once in a while, its still an asset that you didn't have before...and if you let it sit there...it will compound without you doing a single thing!



If you are interested in reading more about prosper loans and specifically, finding information about loan repayment etc. I recommend checking out http://www.ericscc.com/ . It is a great site and the writer seems to have really done his homework! (it is also where I got the above data from my loans.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home